Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"Its just like riding a bike"

FALSE.

Today was a national union strike across France (for another post) which meant not only that half my teachers were striking, but also public transportation. But, being the dedicated assistant I am, I told Simona that I could walk to school as long as the weather was nice.

Flash forward to a beautiful day and me cursing myself for making this promise. The last thing I want to do is go to school! So, I leave my house a little late and as Im dreading the long walk ahead of me, I see it in the distance... the blue bikes!

Just last year the Mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi (pictured trying out the bikes) installed around 50 stations of vĂ©lo bleu around Nice, available for public use at a very small fee. It's a great effort to stay green and allows people to use bikes for cheap rather than having to buy their own. Plus, the first 30 mins is free, but I signed up for a month of unlimited service for 10€. Good deal!

But then, as I selected a bike and pulled it out of the station I had an epiphany: First, I don't remember the last time I rode a bike and second: I don't know ANYTHING about riding a bike in the city!!! Do I ride on the sidewalk or on the road if there's no bike lane? I don't know. I managed to make it onto some roads less-traveled, but I was still rather nervous. Not to mention that I am trying to keep my purse on my arm and my schoolbag in the basket. As cute and stylish and French as this sounds, I'm mostly sure I looked like a moron. At one point I even heard sirens behind me and almost thought the police were going to pull me over and yell at me for doing it wrong.

I arrived safe and sound and the first station was full, so I had to find another one. My heart still pounding, I returned my bike to its station, and walked the last few meters to school thinking to myself that I should have planned that more. I will definitely pay more attention to bike lanes and riders before I decide to take one out again. Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment