Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tales of Summer Camp

Although it is my first summer away from summer camp, I am glad I’ve been afforded the opportunity to stay in touch with my counselor friends and spend a week and a half (so far) out at camp. Unless they’ve been a camp counselor, many people just cannot understand what goes on; I would credit my six years of camp counselor experience to much of who I am today.

Some highlights of my time there this summer include: getting told by a camper that I was his new favorite counselor and being asked if I was old enough to drive. Part of the magic is feeling like a rock star when kids just idolize you for no other reason than you being their camp counselor, another part is the awesome friends you make when you spend 9+ weeks at the most fun, and most difficult job.

Last week when I was at camp, one of the counselors brought out a suit which had glow sticks attached in the outline of a person. He was running around in the dark around the time of curfew. First, a few of us saw him from afar, but then we saw him take off when Cabell started chasing after him. We watched a chase through Hogan Hill and over towards the shelter that lasted a good ten minutes. It was so funny to see the glow stick man running his little heart out. I don’t know if he eventually got caught or not, but a few counselors emerged from the woods carrying his glow sticks, saying he had taken off towards the lake. I can’t imagine who it was.

Here are a few pictures that also show why I love camp:

Definitely my favorite place on camp: the lake! Here you can see the trampoline and blob, but I prefer to paddle around in a canoe.


During my guest appearance at camp we won the Cleanest Hogan competition. One of the girls in my Hogan suggested that we put our towels in rainbow order—I thought it was a fabulous idea!


A counselor’s diet includes between 1 and 10 freezee pops per day. Some ingenious counselors decided to color coordinate the freezee pops and again, I loved the idea. It’s the first time I’ve ever seen it done, and it made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment