Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Panne d'electricite

So, I was all excited because today was a good day....

I observed in some of my classes today, and I really like the school. The students seem pretty nice and interested. The first class had some very eager kids, which was fun. "Is France famous in America?" And they all wanted to know if I spoke French. In reality, it's hard for me to switch from hearing their french to speaking my native language. Some classes have to practice talking about a picture, describing, etc. for the oral exam at the end of the year. Others were doing a debate. Also, I met more of the teachers and they are all very nice.

In America, there's a definite movement for teaching to be taken as a "real profession," so you may see jeans on a rare casual friday. On the contrary, in France on of my "english team colleagues" wore jeans and a tank top today. So, I can use all the wardrobe that I have here, and I don't have to dress up for work. Awesome.

Also, the friend that I made in one of the young teachers yesterday- Marylene-- She texted me this morning and it started with "Hey gurl" which is just adorable. Plus, I'm going to have dinner at her place Friday night.

THEN...
I went to Giletta to pick up our keys, I was very excited to move in this afternoon. We picked up our keys right after school at 5. Then, we rode up to the villa, picked up all my luggage in one fell swoop (which I was very proud of) and we got back down around 7. Opened the door to our apartment, and there is NO ELECTRICITY. I'm 95% sure they should have already turned on the electricity; I even think it was on when we visited yesterday. So, I called Sandra and Maricarmen, some other assistant friends, and we are crashing chez elles tonight. Zut alors! Just when I got my own place.

Well, considering I'm a guest, I won't spend too much time on the internet.

Future post: adorable children I see on the tram (who make me want to steal them away!)

No comments:

Post a Comment