Sunday, November 1, 2009

American Vibes

So, last night another assistant had a little Halloween costume party for those of us still in town. I was on the way there with Sandra and got the usual French guys on motorbikes yelling random things in English. This time took me a little by surprise though, as they yelled "Hello ladies... blah blah.... TEXAS!" (really? texas?!) Even on Halloween dressed in all black and wearing heavy makeup, I gave off American vibes.

This brings me to my point. Some of us, but ESPECIALLY me, give of a strictly American vibe. No French person has ever or probably will ever mistake me for French. And, usually I just blame it on the red hair, but that can't be all. So, In the next 6 months, I'll be trying to nail down all the different aspects that makes French people talk to us in English first.

I was given another clue last night. At the party, one of the French guys was talking to Sandra and said "Whyyyy do all the american girls wear ponytails in their hair?!" Aha. I had never really noticed, but I think women here rarely wear their hair up, and if it is, it's more than a ponytail.

Also, I'm told that smiling in general, while walking around, is rather American. Apparently in France we don't let people know we're happy. And, it can be hard to talk to people. Luckily, I think a lot of young french people are more open to making friends and talking to you, especially if you're english or american.

Oh, and I may have mentioned this before, but the French don't wear colors. Sandra and I were discussing, b/c we're both pale and look better when you pair colors with our skintones, but the French wear black, white, beige, black and more black. Not so many colors. Never pink or yellow or green or anything "loud". I can't wait to break out my red winter coat and pink scarf... hah.

Recap: American vibes are: smiling, ponytails, pale skin/red hair, wearing colors...

No comments:

Post a Comment