Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

Or, with a french accent, appy sanksgeeveeng!

Today feels like Friday to me, as I had my Thanksgiving celebration yesterday on my normal day off. Today I had 2 classes and ate some leftovers for dinner. I didn't feel too bummed though, because yesterday was a blast.

The day started with some light cleaning and rearranging to welcome guests. Then, around 12:30 I started cooking. It was meant to be a potluck, but I supplied (some) turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans. I had bought 2 turkey thighs at the supermarket and found a recipe to braise them "until the meat falls off the bones." It actually wasn't too complicated. First, you brown the thighs in a pan, then you add celery and onions and cook them for a little longer. Next you transfer into a pot with about an inch of water or stock. I added a bouillon gel to give it a little more flavor. Let it simmer for an hour and a half, and it's pretty much done. I used the left over juices to reduce down and turn into gravy. I have to tell you I am pretty proud that I pulled off this dish (as well as mashed potatoes) because I'm not at all experienced in cooking!

Around 4 people started showing up and we started trying to get things ready around 5ish. Tom and Lauren brought some turkey breast to contribute, so Tom and I were bickering while deciding how to cook them. At one point I left the kitchen and heard a Boom! and a scream. When I went back in, the sweet potato pie that they were trying to warm on the burner (only stovetop, rememb?) had broken the dish. I intervened b/c I thought it was about to catch fire. But, half of the casserole was salvaged, and Sandra had brought two. It wouldn't have been Thanksgiving without the comical mishap, right?

We finally sat down around 6 to eat. We had [almost] all of the Thanksgiving fixins: Turkey (breast, braised thighs, roasted thigh), mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, sweet potato casserole, bread, dried cranberries, wine for those who partake, coke (america!) and water. As we sat down in my apartment, we reflected on how great it is to get together and share a Thanksgiving meal with friends.

As we were finishing eating, a few latecomers came, bringing our total of the evening to 16 people! With the table cleared, we made room for course number two: dessert! Let me tell you, these ladies were so impressive. We had homemade apple and pumpkin pie! It was delicious! Plus, many people had brought other forms of sweets so we had tons to go around.

The night waned and ended around 9pm. It was super successful and I'm very grateful to my friends who came to celebrate Thanksgiving with me.

Left to right: Moi, Julien*, Valerie, Hessina*, MariCarmen*, Jenny*, Marylene*, Margaux*, Tom. next row: Oana, Lauren, Kelly, Sandra, Shannon, Connor, and Emily.
*those celebrating their first Thanksgiving. Countries of origin: France, Spain, Colombia and England :)

Last, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I wanted to list some of my blessings:
-a loving Family and friends
-the opportunity to be in France this year
-12 hour work weeks!
-my diploma
-America :)
and many other things I take for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment