Sunday, December 27, 2009

Holidaze

Ahhh... the sun finally came out on Christmas day and it was upper 50's, which was the only thing I really wanted on Christmas. Hooray. I had dinner with Oana and her boyfriend Dan that night. I got there just as they were beginning preparations, and because of her incompetent microwave/oven, we didn't really eat until 10. But, what a good dinner it was! We had Duck a l'orange, pissaladiere (Nicois specialty, kinda like a pizza only with caramelized onions), roasted potatoes (weren't ready until later) and eggnog. It was really delicious, and I had great company. Then, we ended by watching Elf.

Yesterday I did not do very much, but I did go to the Christmas markets and I finally bought myself the Nativity santons (figurines) that I've been wanting. There are 2 booths at the market dedicated to santons, and I wanted to get more, but they are expensive. I did end up buying a baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the 3 wise men figurines, and they are hand painted! Definitely something that I will have for years to come, and therefore a good investment.

Today was another beautiful day and so I went for a walk/jog. Everyone in all of Nice was on the promenade today, it was so crowded! And, even when not exercising, the French saunter, and it gets on my nerves. I've been rushing to class for 4 years now, so I'm just conditioned to fast walking. Luckily, by sticking to the edge of the bike lane I could avoid most of the annnoyances. I speed-walked to the Colline, went up the steps and walked around a little (whew, those steps were the worst part), then I jogged from the Colline home. I was proud that I was able to run that far without having to stop because the rain has made me lethargic and I have not gotten any exercise in a while.

Also, while walking around, seeing the beautiful views, the first thing that came to my head was I feel like I haven't been living in Nice for the past 2-3 weeks. I haven't been to see the sunset/ see the beautiful parts of the city in a long time. It felt good to be back to walking around outside seeing the sun and the Med. The second thing to go through my head was how excited I will be to show my Dad all my favorite parts about Nice in person in February!!! I know that he's seen all my pictures and heard the stories, but he's coming to see it for himself and I'm psyched!!! :D

ps. I finished the last 3 episodes of Glee-- SO GOOD! And, I'm about to finish My Sister's Keeper, which is SO GOOD too. Then, I'll probs start some David Sedaris.

No comments:

Post a Comment