Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snow among the palms

Friday after school I invited several of my friends to come over as I tried to make crepes. We had so many toppings, and my crepe-making had somewhat of a learning curve. We were going to head out afterwards and all of the sudden we heard rain outside. I was surprised and opened the door to look. Only, it wasn't rain, it was SNOW! This is Nice, on the French Riviera, and its snowing. I was told it never snows here! So, at first it was really hard snow/sleet mixture which eventually turned into real, fluffy snow.

Mari Carmen and Sandra walked home in the snow, but Lauren and Tom's bus quit running, and Oana did not feel up to walking in the snow, so I had company for a sleepover! I was actually really happy because my roommate left on Thursday and I want to take advantage of my friends while they're still around. We watched Scrubs in English until around 2 and went to bed, it was lots of fun :) The next day I went out and there was only a little bit of ice on the sidewalk, but no other signs of the snow.
I do have to admit that I'm disappointed to be missing such an epic snow at home. I know snow sucks when you have to go somewhere, and my mom is probably still stuck at work, but so much snow is magical. And, I'm such an anti-winter person that the only time I tolerate the cold is if its snowing. The last time VA had such a snow (22") was in '96 and I wish I had been there for blizzard '09. Plus, it might be the first white Christmas in my 22 years. Oh well, I'm going to pretend to be snowed-in today- watch some TV, look at others' snow pics, and not go out in the cold.
Here's another picture for you, taken from Place Massena (the main square in Nice) where there are lights and decorations everywhere. Maybe later I can add some more pictures from the Christmas markets.

No comments:

Post a Comment