Thursday, December 10, 2009

Story time, part deux (sans photos)

A few anecdotes from recent:

°First of all, I told Mme Letzter (the program director for Maryland-in-Nice when I was here last) about the incident with my computer. She is lending me an old laptop to use for a while. Ive already been calling it my dinosaur because it even has a floppy disc drive and it is really slow. I dont think Ill be able to watch TV on it, but at least I can check my email, etc. Also, it has no sensor pad for the mouse, so I had to go buy a wireless mouse instead of dealing with the horrible finger joystick thingy.

°Last night my TV was absolutely possessed. It wzs acting like it was resetting the channels, but it lasted for at least 2 hours. I would turn the TV off, it would turn back on. I would put it on digital, and it would switch back to fuzzy and set a timer for 5 minutes. It was very strange. I guess eventually it finally stopped because it's fine now.

°They showed a commercial for American Pie 5 which was going to be on TV later this week. I was really surprised because it showed topless women, and the commercial was on at like 6pm. I guess their view on nudity really is different in Europe.

°I was doing my lesson on replacing teachers with computers in which my students debate their side. As with all my lessons so far, I've had some pretty good reactions, and then some classes that just don't want to work. The other day I had a class that really didnt want to work. This one girl was writing her argument on the board and I couldn't help but laugh at her horrible grammar. She wrote "No, because with the teacher we understand more, and too for speak with you in the face. But, the computer not interesting for student just for distracting, game, msn, etc..." I really wanted to laugh out loud, but I think I held it in okay. And, I felt okay taking a picture of the board to laugh at it later because they were being annoying.

°I had a really nice weekend. The christmas markets are really nice. Im going to try to not spend all my money there... but then again I still dont have any grand Christmas plans save probably baking and playing with the Bootsey, who Im catsitting.

°Addition: I remember that I did not want to get up on Tuesday morning, and so between snoozes, I convinced myself that if I got up and got ready quickly, I could go get Starbucks. Too bad there are no starbucks in Nice... I was disappointed when I realized this upon actually waking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment