Thursday, January 28, 2010

Competitive Spirit

Lesser known Franny fact: Although I am a redhead, I have very few 'fiery redhead' qualities, except that I can be very competitive. I grew up with a younger brother and I think that started my competitive spirit. I did not realize this though, until in 9th grade. I would always fight with my friend Maya until our mutual friend Michelle started saying in a mocking tone "Hurry! Compete!" every time we would try to prove something.

Since high school I have also been a reason for cancelling a "friendly" Jeopardy competition between suitemates in college. I just get so intense, and its the one time I like to argue every little point. I try to apologize for it, and have a great personality otherwise, but I'm sorry you guys, I am obnoxiously competitive.

Now, I've never been much of an athlete, so I do admit to over-celebrating even with a Cheap Shot haha.

So, as I mentioned in my last blog, two weeks ago I decided to go out to trivia at the port at MaNolan's. The first time there was a table of over 10 of us split into two teams. My team got 4th place, the other half got 3rd. I was a little suspicious because the guys were playing dumb and happened to do better. Then, last week we were all split up on different sides of the restaurant and all of our teams did worse... a lot worse 27, 26, 23ish places out of around 35-40. So, I chalked the week before up to a fluke and thought this would be a good opportunity for me to play and work on losing graciously.

Well, this week the girls got there early and secured us a table all together. Again, we had a table of 7 and two different teams. Sandra, Alex (french teaching friend of Kiran) and I were team (you know you love me) XOXO. We did well in the 'pick the intruder' round and the general knowledge round. Current events, not so great, and movies and music was average. Actually the waiter offered the answer to a song, saying the artist was Snoop dogg but I stuck to my guns because I thought he was making it up. Oops, he wasn't. (who knew SD actually sang?)

Anyways, I had no idea how we did, but didn't really have my hopes up. While they announced the rankings, I kept my cool. They got to the top 10 and I was doubtful still. Then, he announced that our team had tied for 4th/3rd place with another team. Now, the top 3 places get prizes: 30, 60 and 100€ respectively. So, I had to answer a tie-breaker question against some guy that was like 40 years old... and I got it! Yess! Luckily, I was nervous and so didn't really gloat, but I am rather proud of our little team! Looks like the tab next week is picked up by the house :)



ps. My pictures loaded! So, expect another post soon about Avignon! (3 in such a short time, wow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment