Saturday, January 30, 2010

On y danse (there we dance)

Finally! This becomes a travel blog as intended!

As previously eluded, I traveled with some friends to Avignon last weekend. I considered it the finale to visiting the trinity of 'A' towns in the south of France along with their famous draws: Aix-en-Provence (fountains), Arles (Van Gogh) and Avignon (the bridge/Pope's Palace). I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend with good friends, good food, and beautiful sights. Actually, my friends and I spent a lot of time standing and talking, sitting and talking, lounging and talking. The sights were easily visited in one day, but we wanted a more leisurely trip and took two. We started joking that we were falling in love with each other because someone would stop to take a picture, we would chat, and forget to start walking again. I guess that speaks for the company.

I will try to be brief and let the pictures speak for the rest of the trip, but I make no promises. Feel free to click on the pictures to view them larger.

The city of Avignon is walled-in and one of the most impressive sights is the Palais des Papes (Pope's Palace) from when the vatican was briefly situated in the middle of Spain, France and Italy (in Avignon) in the 14th century.


The other draw to Avignon is the Pont Benezet, or the Pont d'Avignon. There is a children's song which sings of dancing on the bridge. Unfortunately my friends and I were feeling a little too poor to shell out 7€ to dance on the bridge, but goshdarnit we did dance under it!


Saturday night we went out to this cozy little restaurant which served tartines (open-faced sandwiches). I got one with Ham, emmental cheese, tomato and béchamel sauce. It was so delicious. I also took a (blurry) picture of the restaurant because it was too cute.



Palais des Papes at night reminded me even more of a Disney castle. Love it!


And finally, a picture of the group (minus Valerie and Conor) inside the kitchen of Palais des Papes on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Wow everything looks so pretty! I'm glad you're getting to traveling. The castle looks fantastic. Looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete